You might have heard something about Big Data already, just the term at least. This technology exists for more than ten years but still looks a little bit complicated and unclear. There is also a lot of confusion about the Big Data team and roles in it. If you want to know more about Big Data services and Big Data team keep reading.
At first, let’s define what does Big Data mean. Big Data is a toolkit for processing huge amounts of data. Big Data services work with structured, unstructured and semi-structured data. There are three V’s to distinguish Big Data from other technologies: volume, variety and velocity. Volume means a big amount of information, variety is different types of information and its structuredness, velocity means the speed of data processing – Big Data solutions often process information in real-time without storing it somewhere. Sometimes you might face the fourth V as value and many more V’s but these three are the basic.
Big Data allows us to train neural networks and implement Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in the system. The main goal of Big Data is to process data fast and on the fly.
As you can see, this is quite a complicated process, so Big Data team might include different specialists. It depends on project size and level of difficulty.
Roles in Big Data team
There are three main roles in the Big Data team: Big Data scientist/analyst, DBA (Database analytic) and backend developer.
- Big Data scientists and Big Data analysts. These are close roles. Such specialists make patterns for the neural network that they train. Also, they are responsible for accurate predictions from the system. Big Data scientist needs to set values to different data. There are a lot of models to accomplish it and Big Data scientist needs to choose the appropriate one and implement it.
- Database analyst. This is a person with a strong knowledge of databases who can manage data in a database and configure the database appropriately for Big Data processing.
- Backend developer. Every system needs some environment to interact with it. Big Data systems need it too, so Big Data team includes such specialists. They need to know how to work with Machine Learning, databases and other technologies.
The number of specialists can be very different. You can have a similar number of different specialists in your team or one kind of talent can prevail if needed. Also, we listed only the basic roles, a team can be much wider and include more roles.
How to collect a Big Data team?
If you decide that you need Big Data for your business, the question arises: “How to find a Big Data team?”. There are two common approaches. You might hire specialists in-house or outsource Big Data implementation. We will consider both ways below.
- In-house hiring. Actually, this is a very expensive way. You need to spend a lot of money and time for recruiting, different interviews, checking soft and hard skills. After hiring you’ll need to equip the workplaces, make team building, corporate events and much more. As a business owner, you clearly understand how costly is team expansion. This is reasonable only if you want to outsource Big Data services in the future or you have a very long project.
- Outsourcing Big Data services. In this case, you hire a dedicated team from an outsourcing provider. Such a team is a cohesive and experienced group of specialists with some ready solutions and an understanding of the best practices. So, you don’t need to spend time for a long adaptation period and can start work immediately. Also, the team works remotely, so you don’t need to equip workplaces and do other stuff that is needed for an in-house team. There is only one probable minus of the dedicated team – the bad quality of work. But we will tell you how to avoid it below.
How to hire a Big Data team without risks?
The biggest risk in hiring the outsourcing team is the bad quality of work. Good news – you always can change the outsourcing company. But it will be better to avoid such a risk in advance.
When you hire an outsourcing company, you should find reviews about this company. There are a lot of resources where you can see feedback and worldwide ratings of companies providing Big Data services. Such resources also show the price per hour and other useful information. Of course, the best way to receive feedback is to ask the previous customers directly but it can be inconvenient.
When you choose the contractor you should speak to the Sales Manager. He or she will give you common information about free specialists, prices, style of work, successful cases, etc. The next step is the interview with key specialists like Team Lead, Project Manager or Senior developers.
Such an approach allows you to get acquainted with your future team in advance and avoid all the risks. When you’ll be sure you work with qualified specialists, you can trust them the project and relax.